These sugar cookies are the perfect blend of sweetness and buttery goodness, with just a hint of vanilla. They maintain their shape during baking, making them ideal for holiday cut-outs and decorating!
Servings 25 cookies
- 3 cups purpose flour plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup salted butter room temperature
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste/extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt, then set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla to the butter mixture and beat well. Set your mixer to low and add in the eggs. With the mixer still running on low speed, add in the flour mixture, on cup at a time. Mix until a smooth dough has formed.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap, then press into a disk shape. Chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350F (176C). Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and place onto a floured surface. Roll to approximately 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut out the dough using desired cookie cutters and place 2 inches apart on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, or until the edges are slightly golden in color. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool before decorating.
- Decorate with royal icing or buttercream frosting if desired.