Midnight Black Buttercream
This buttercream is easy to make and uses black cocoa instead of food coloring to achieve it's pitch black shade. The flavor is very close to what an oreo cookie tastes like as it is the same cocoa used to make them!
Servings 6 cups
- 1 1/2 cups (232g) black cocoa powder (Cocoa Trader brand)
- 2 lbs (907g) powdered sugar
- 2 cups (452g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15ml) vanilla paste or vanilla exact
- pinch sea salt
- black gel coloring (optional)
- Sift the black cocoa and powdered sugar into a large bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high for 5 minutes, or until pale and increased in volume.
- Once the butter has become fluffy, lower the speed to low and add the heavy cream, vanilla and salt.
- With the mixer running at low speed, begin to add the cocoa mixture, 1 cup at a time, until all has been added. Increase the speed to medium and mix until creamy and well incorporated, no longer than 1-2 minutes.
- Allow your mixer to run at the lowest setting for 5 minutes to become smooth and creamy. Depending on which brand of black cocoa you used, you may need to add a small amount of food coloring. (some brands are darker than others).
This buttercream can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week, or 1 month in the freezer.