Italian Meringue Buttercream- Easy Method
This smooth and silky buttercream is amazing for cupcakes and layer cakes. It is less sweet than your traditional american buttercream and pairs well with any flavor!
Servings 8 cups
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice optional
- 2 lb powdered sugar
- 1 cup pasteurized egg whites room temperature
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 3 cups unsalted butter room temperature
- Wipe down your equipment with lemon juice to eliminate any grease. In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the powdered sugar and the egg whites. Be sure the egg whites are at room temperature to ensure they whip into a meringue.
- Set the mixer to low speed and mix until the eggs and powdered sugar have turned into a smooth paste. Increase mixer speed to high and whip until medium peaks form.
- Switch out the whisk attachment for the beater attachment; this will prevent excess air from being incorporated into the buttercream. Set the mixer to medium-low speed and add the vanilla, lemon juice and salt.
- One stick at a time, add the butter and continue to whip until smooth and creamy. It will appear to be curdled at first, but allow it to continue to mix until it has fully come together. Set your mixer to run at the lowest speed for about 5 minutes to eliminate any excess air bubbles. Remove any remaining air bubbles by pressing the buttercream against the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula.