A rich chocolate cake, filled with dark choc ganache, and finely chopped fruit and nut mix, topped off with fresh berries and chocolate squares. Get ready to indulge! This cake will have you coming back for seconds…or thirds! Switch up the fruit on top to go with the flavors of your trail mix, like pineapple and mango for a more tropical flavor combo. Feel free to switch out the dark chocolate for milk chocolate, if you prefer a lighter flavor profile.
Assembling Your Cake
Fruit & Nut Chocolate Cake
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup fruit and nut mix, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Place eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla into a separate mixing bowl. Beat with a hand mixer until well incorporated.
- Place the water into a small saucepan, and heat until just before boiling point. While water is heating, place the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted completely.
- Add the bowl of wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the hot water and melted chocolate. Beat on low until well incorporated, increase speed to medium-high and mix until smooth, 3-4 minutes.
- Coat 4, 6 inch cake pans with vegetable oil spray. Use a generous and even amount on all pans. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for at least 25 minutes before removing cake from pans. Place cake layers on wire racks until completely cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and preferably chill overnight before decorating (this will prevent excess crumbs in your frosting).
To Make the Filling
- Place heavy cream and chocolate into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 second bursts, until completely melted. Stir gently between each interval. Cover and set aside until thickened.